The baseball Gods were not happy with us this week. I do not even know what we did to upset them! We enjoy going to a few Durham Bulls games each season. It is relatively cheap entertainment and the boys really love it. We decided to go to the game Tuesday night. We had it all planned. Tuesday dawned nice and rainy. Rain all day. It was not raining on our house when it was time to make a decision, to go or not to go. Matt and I decided for not to go. A rainy ball game with 5 kids, 2 pretty little, did not sound like our idea of fun. Madsen said we could wear jackets. We stayed home. Declan was invited to go to that same game with our neighbors, so he got to go. Madsen was jealous. Disappoinment #1.
We decided to go to the game on Friday. They have fireworks every Friday night so that would make it even more fun. I packed a gourmet picnic. We headed up to meet Matt at work and eat our dinner. All is well! Then we get to the ball park. I have never seen so many people in that area at one time. Something is looking fishy. We park and make the trek to the ticket counter only to discover there is standing room only. If a rainy ball game with 5 kids did not sound fun, does standing for a ball game with 5 kids sound fun? NO!!! So, after much dileberation and complaining, we opted to go home. Madsen was disappointed. We did get our $3 parking fee back! Disappointment #2.
We have gone up to the park with out tickets before and been able to get in. We have never been to a sold out game. It never even occured to us to see if there would still be tickets. Then we heard that they were playing the Boston Red Sox farm team. It was a stadium record number in attendance. No wonder we could not get tickets.
We were smart though, bought our tickets to the July 3 game while we were there. Not a complete waste of a night!
The boys were upset. Cannon said to me, "thanks for ruining our whole day" on the way home.
So, to make it up to them we drove through some really fancy neighborhoods looking at houses on the way home. Sully said, "you already made us mad, are you trying to torture us now?" OK, looking at the houses was for me!
We did stop at Target and get icees to make them feel a little better and we went home and watched The Princess Bride.
Lesson learned and we will have fun at the ball game on July 3!
Feb-May 2026
4 months ago
4 comments:
Big jerk! Way to ruin their whole day. I think it is a good thing that you don't live in San Francisco to further torture your children relative to baseball by forcing them to sit through at least 7 innings of bay area FREEZE! At least they got icees.
flarting: For some reason, I want Sully to come up with a definition for this one.
Yeah, way to go. I know you ruined their whole day ON PURPOSE!!!
flarting: When you make juice in your pants.
I do not think that was what you were looking for.
Madsen thinks it is when you are flirting with the girl of your dreams and you accidentally fart.
It is exactly what I expected, but it sounds "better" coming from an 11 year old boy than his aunt. I like Madsen's definition.
Post a Comment