I got to the school for the 5th grade picnic and celebration. I was quickly shuttled into the principals office. All the kids got to spend 45 minutes in there earlier being lectured and writing out the story. All the parents got a lecture too and told that there needs to be some serious punishment at home. The principal told me that Sully was going to be getting an award but now she wasn't so sure.
End result: the mom and girl who threw the phone out the window went and found the phone and then went to verizon to replace it. We all got to pay $12 which the kids will work off. Sully will be mowing the neighbors yards to repay me. They had the owner of the phone come in so the kids could apologize in person. She was a very sweet young lady. I think she felt bad for these silly kids. Sully did get his award. The principal looked right at him when she said these are great kids, 99% of the time.
I personally think the whole thing was blown out of proportion a little. They did do something wrong. But my goodness! The principal just kept going on about how bad they were and what a horrible thing they had done. I am glad this very important life lesson was learned over something as unimportant as a cell phone. I told Sully that I think he has sufficiently punished himself and next time he is in a similar situation with peer pressure, he will make the right choice.
Feb-May 2026
4 weeks ago
2 comments:
It does all sound kind of crazy but I am a big believer on coming down really hard on these things especially the first big lie. It makes them think twice about all the consequences of seemingly innocent fun. Most often bad doesn't seem bad when your planning it, that's how easy it is to get tempted as we all grow up. It's also good for them to learn that even when you don't plan to do something very wrong or understand what "could" happen you pay the price if it turns out bad. Nothing goes without consequence. I think you are doing a great job with that.
Well hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, or it will be a long and trying time during the teenage years. I'm sure he learned something, but hopefully he takes it to heart when making future decisions.
Post a Comment