This morning I got out a new blanket for Waverly to lay on. It is one that my grandmother Madsen had made. I breathed really deep and it still smells like Fairview. That smell evokes many memories and emotions. Only happy times happen in Fairview so that smell is very comforting. I started to think of smells that bring back memories and smells that I love. I love the smell of rain and dirt and my parents garage. Pine trees make me think of Bailey and the fun we have had there. Sometimes in spring I walk out and it smells like track. In the fall I smell cross country. Freshly bathed babies smell so yummy. Fresh baked bread or cookies feel like home. A fire in the fire place smells warm and comforting. The ocean has its own smell, as do mountains. North Carolina has it's own special smell too. It is amazing how something like a smell can make you think of times and places and people. Of course there are less pleasant smells with unpleasant memories, but this morning as I smelled Fairview and thought of all the love and peace of that little town, mostly just one house and yard, I only want to focus on the smells I love!
No comments:
Post a Comment