Inspired by our Random Memories blog and the fact that the kids, particularly Cannon, spend too much time on the Wii or movies or computer, and Matt and I spend too much time on computers, we have started Unplugged Week.We switch between plugged and unplugged so I am not completely depriving them of all the fun. During unplugged weeks there is no wii, no movies/tv and no computer other than homework, church work, paying bills ( I do not think anyone would take my unplugged excuse for late payments) FBI, and I can check e-mail 2 times a day.
Tomorrow will start unplugged week #2. The kids were really good about it during week #1. A few complaints, of course, but they survived. Cannon complained the first day but the rest of the week he just asked when it would be Monday so he could be plugged again. They were creative players and had some fun.
I noticed that it is harder to stay off the computer than tv. No blogs, facebook, googling for information etc.. I also realized I accomplish a lot more without the distractions of electricity. I spend more real time with Cannon and our evenings, when we are actually at home, are more fun.
One week at a time is not much. I am hoping that maybe I can start some good habits with the kids finding other way to entertain themselves and I will get myself back in gear after not accomplishing a whole lot since the baby. I really want to have an unplugged summer. That may be asking a lot.
So, tomorrow starts unplugged week #2. I will check back next Monday!
Feb-May 2026
4 weeks ago
2 comments:
Way to go! I think this is a great idea. I think everyone could benefit from some unplugged weeks.
Wow. Great idea. I certainly would suffer without my computer and my kids would miss t.v. Can't wait to hear how week 2 went.
Post a Comment