Thursday, February 26, 2009

More Details

Matt's Grandmother wanted more detail on the choosing of the kids names, so here it goes! You do not have to read this if you are not interested or you already know!

Madsen Nicholas: My maiden name, I only have sisters as does my father, so there is no continuation of the Madsen
name on our side. Nicholas is Matt's mother's maiden name. He is all last names!

Sullivan Matthew: We were reading the credits off of tv shows looking for a good name. The production company for
Dr Quinn was the Sullivan Production company. Matt said, "how about Sullivan?" I quickly replied,
" I will not name my son Sullivan." Well, we never came up with anything else. Now I do like
his name. The Matthew is pretty self explanitory!

Declan Erick: Matt was in Grad School when Declan was born. There was a man in the lab from Ireland so Matt asked
for list of Irish names that you do not hear in America and Declan was on the list. I just thought it was
cool. The Erick is shortened from Erickson which is my maternal grandmother's maiden name. His name
is my favorite. I just really like the way it sounds.


Cannon Braithwaite: I read a family history story and a man who helped my ancestors off the boat when the first
met up with the Mormon saints last name was Cannon. No real signifigance, I just thought
Cannon would make a neat name that was not common. The Braithwaite is Matt's paternal
grandfather's middle name which is his mother's(?) maiden name. I used it as a bargaining
tool to get Cannon, Matt wanted Calvin. But, his name sounds nice put together!

Waverly Maris: I heard the name Waverly when we watched The Joy Luck Club when I was pregnant with Madsen.
I thought it was so pretty! It was one of 2 girl names that remained on the list of useable names all
the years of having boys! We now know a Waverly, and I am glad that I liked her and she did not
ruin the name for me! She is not named after crackers, designer fabric, a shopping center, a general
or a Disney tv show! The Maris is shortened from my mother's name, Damaris.

Now you know all you could ever dream of knowing about the selection of our childrens names! Maybe some day the kids (still trying to get used to not just saying the boys) will appreciate the full story!

2 comments:

grandmaC said...

Thank you! I did find out a few things I didn't know. It is always interesting to understand how names came to be. I really like the idea of carrying on family names. Thanks for the prompt replies.

Angela said...

I loved hearing the history behind each of them. Thanks for sharing. I was especially curious about Waverly so I'm glad I got the details.