Tuesday I got to attend Madsen's first ever track meet. It was very nostalgic to say the least. I enjoyed just watching the kids hanging out in the field and cheering on their teammates. I remember doing that as if it were yesterday. I could feel the pain of the 400m and wanted to cheer every single runner just for being out there. Madsen ran the 800m in about 3:13 ( I timed on my cell phone and was not at the finish line so this is an approximation). He did not win and he did not lose. He did just fine. He did look like a little boy out there amongst older and bigger and faster kids. I am afraid that he is his father's child when it comes to sports. I did get butterflies in my stomach as soon as the race was announced and I watched with great interest and sympathy as he completed the run. It is not easy to try to sprint for a half mile. Today after practice he told me he is switching to the 400m. I think he might do better at this distance. It seems to me like the coaches are not coaching a whole lot on how a race should be run. They do not get much personal attention, which I really understand since there are 60 kids on the team. I am sure I could be of some help here if my kids would only take my advice and believe that I do know what I am talking about! I did spend 6 track seasons running these races! He is having fun being part of a team and I am loving watching it. It is so much more fun to watch than baseball.
3 comments:
Yay for Madsen! You know, approximately 3:13 is pretty good for a first ever 800. Give him a high five for me! Seriously! Do it now! HIGH FIVE! WOO HOO! (Did it smell like track, or is that only in Colorado?)
fedinomi: Term for a federal agent's undercover alias.
Good for Madsen! That is so fun. I think track is the best. I loved Cross Country for certain reasons but I have to say that I thought track was more fun. I suppose at this level 400 might be a little easier but I still think that it and 300 hurdles are the hardest races in track, followed possibly by the 800. Go Madsen! Wish we could be there to watch you trackster!
decklins - seriously! That's my word! Well, we all know what "decklins" are!
I'm sorry if Madsen inherited his athletic ability from the Cheever side of the family. I'm proud of him for being out there doing his best. Being willing to try, especially when you're not a natural, is the biggest accomplishment in my opinion. Go Madsen!
Post a Comment