Monday, December 1, 2008

Shopping and Evolution

I was talking to Dad today and we discussed how we stay away from stores and crowds as much as possible this time of year, particularly this past weekend. It would take one fabulous deal to get me in the store in the early AM with a bunch of crazy people. I think maybe a buy one get on free at a car dealer would make me think. Or 50% off the house I have my eye on. There is nothing at Wal-Mart worth trampling someone to death. Dad said that Sheila's comment was Black Friday combines two of her most hated things, crowds and shopping, not to mention her Ohio weather. When did shopping become one of the most hated things? I remember loving going to the grocery store with Mom, probably for the same reason the boys want to go with me, to sneak things into the cart that I don't usually buy. A trip to the mall was anxiously awaited. Is there anything more fun than going from store to store just to see if there is something you want? I now understand why Mom hated shopping. First of all, she had to drive 45 minutes to said mall, and then have2-3 girls to deal with trying on clothes or athletic shoes (her personal favorite to shop for!) Just being in a mall is bad enough with out adding Mom's challenges to it. I hate the mall now. On the rare occasion that I go to the mall it is with a specific purpose and I am pretty sure I walk like I have a mission to complete, just like Mom used to. I think shopping hits the most hated list when it becomes a to do. It is no longer fun, but a chore that is to be endured. I hate grocery shopping, I hate buying gifts for my kids friends, I hate school supply shopping and I hate Christmas shopping. It is only magnified if the boys are with me. I avoid shopping on Friday night or Saturdays like the plague. My family would eat from the year supply complete with powdered milk, before I will go to Sam's on a Saturday. I am so glad I have the opportunity to do my shopping any time of day any day of the week, when I can avoid the largest crowds. And now I plan things around when Cannon is at school or play group. Being on my own makes this yucky to do a little more tolerable. Just one more thing I have discoverd in the evolution from kid to parent.

2 comments:

Becky and Ben said...

Ahhh shopping. I haven't come to dread it, except at the mall. And that is only becuase they don't make it easy to bring your stroller in. If I had to let my kids walk, it would be one long game of chase and hide and seek. That would stink. Hope all is going well with the new baby that will arrive soon. Do you typically have your babies early, late, or on-time?

Doug Cheever said...

I think that is why I have switched to buying most anything I can over the internet because I don't have to leave home to do it and I can multitask while watching crime shows with Brenda. And I don't even have to haul kids with me anymore.