The boys brought home their first quarter report cards today. I was not surprised by anything on them.
Madsen's school uses this great website where I can check all his assignments and grades every day if I want too. I check all the time. Madsen does not think it is so great when I have to gripe at him for his science grades. Although I understand struggling in Science, he is his father's son and has no excuse. So, Madsen's 5 A's and 1 B, not a surprise. A little disappointing since he set a goal to get an All A's All year certificate at the Academic Awards this year, which he blew in the first week of school. Oh well.
Sully has a 4 in Reading and 3*'s in everything else. I think the Standard Based grading is ridiculous. He is smarter than average and should get credit for it. Heaven forbid we hurt any feelings. At least this teacher actually gave him a 4 in the first quarter. I was told once that they are not allowed to do that. So, Sully did exactly as I expected.
Declan has all 3's. I guess he is just average! His teacher comments were that he is quiet and timid in class and reluctant to share his writing and ideas. Shocking from 2 parents who probably received the same comments. She also said he is working at grade level but "quite bright and capable of doing more." So his interventions are all designed to help him reach his potential.
It was a good showing for the boys this first quarter. I am going to take them to Wendy's for frosties to reward them. All their friends probably get paid per A/4. My kids get free junior frosties. We don't reward for doing what we expect. I guess that is what they get for having high expectations!
Good job, guys! It does make me happy to have good, smart kids.
I will stop bragging now. Really the most impressive thing about this blog is that I managed to change my background without anyone helping! :)
Feb-May 2026
4 weeks ago
5 comments:
I was reading the comment on my blog and was going to tell you how to change the background but now I see that you did it - and all by yourself!
Cospi - as in "How cospi of you, figuring out how to change your background all by yourself".
The background change looks great. Good job
Your boys sound smart and they are likely good kids! Good job Mom.
I absolutely love teachers who do online grades. Jayce's high school gives the teachers the choice whether or not they want to do it and I wish, wish, wish they all posted grades and assignments. It is so nice to know when there is a problem before it is too late to do anything about it ie. after progress reports. Good job on not paying your kids for grades also. Our son thinks we are the only mean parents in the world. Unfortunately right now he wouldn't be making all that much money anyway.
Just want to add my congratulations to to the boys for the effort they put into getting good grades. After all we can only expect them to do their best even if that means getting less than an "A". I too also think that you are a great mom and perhaps don't get the thanks you deserve for all that you accomplish in that role.
We get to go get the low-down tomorrow...and I know what you mean about rewards--although I got to benefit from my parent's desperate attempts for motivating my older brother and got a lovely check from my dad at report card time. I didn't complain and it kept the A's coming ;)
Post a Comment