Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Proximity with Choice

Yesterday was the first day of school choice selection here in Wake County. The process was simple, log in, find student, choose schools. No problem. Now I just have to wait 2 months to find out what schools my kids will go to next year. It will either be the easiest possible year with 4 kids in 4 schools or a complete nightmare.

I am hoping that Cannon will get into Baucom Elementary because it is 2 miles away from home, he can ride a bus to and from school that comes into the neighborhood. It is traditional calendar, same start/end time we are used to. A lot of our church friends go to that school.

I am really hoping Declan will get into Apex Middle. This is the school Madsen and Sully went to. It is not far from home, busing to and from. A huge majority of our church friends go to this school. He is currently assigned a school that is 25 minutes away from us on the other side of a different town that we do not live in. It also feeds into a high school that is 20 minutes away from home. Totally ridiculous. I also put as my second choice Salem Middle which is close to home, a really good school, but a year round calendar. So, if this is the school he gets in, we will have 3 traditional schools and 1 year round. Yikes! We would try a transfer for this coming year and then try again next year to get him into Apex Middle. This is my biggest worry.

Madsen is staying at Panther Creek. He has had such a great experience there with friends and teams and school that I am not messing with a good thing.

Sullivan will be going to Apex High. All his friends go there and it is closer to home. We will survive 2 high schools for 2 years. I really don't think this will make much of a difference.

Now it is out of my hands. Much faith and prayers going out that Declan will get into Apex, that is the most important. I just might have to light a candle, too.

4 comments:

Tam said...

It sounds like as much a consequence of having 5 kids as having wackadoodle school assignments in the quest for equal outcomes. At one point our mom had 3kids in 3 different schools too. But, your district DOES indeed have a wackadoodle system.

Danae said...

I do admit that it is a consequence of having lots of kids. That was my choice. That is why dealing with 4 schools does not really bother me and why we decided to let Sully go to the other high school instead of forcing him to go to the one Madsen goes to. It is my middle school assignment that ticks me off. And, if we had just gone to the schools where we live in the first place, like everyone else in the country, we would not have these issues. I really do not want to have Declan year round and everyone else traditional, but I will deal with it to get him close to home. Yes, I am choosing the possibility of chaos in order to make things make sense out of a dumb system.

Di said...

My kids have had different schedules for the last 3 years, it isn't THAT bad. Everyone just gets used to the fact that someone gets a vacation while someone else doesn't. It will be nice finally having the same schedule starting next year though.

Dianne said...

When we lived in Orem, before any of my kids were in school, they were on year round with different tracks. Our neighbor chose to put all her kids on different tracks. She said it was great to have them one on one with her at different times. You might end up enjoying having him on a different schedule than the rest if it happens, but here's to hoping that it doesn't. We had 4 kids, 4 schools one year and it worked fine. You'll do great whatever happens.