Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Privilege

I voted yesterday. I will not pass up the opportunity to have my small voice counted. My town was voting on Mayor and two town council spots. Apparently not many people in Apex care. There are nearly 40,000 residents in my town. Just over 4,000 votes were counted in this election. Pathetic, I tell you. In my opinion, the only people who now have a right to complain about the way the Mayor and Town Council run things are the 4,000 who voted.

3 comments:

Tam said...

Haven't you read Horton Hears a Who? There are no small voices! Good for you for voting.

There were some solicitors outside our library recently asking for signatures to put a guy's name on our ballot. They said "It isn't a vote, it's just to get his name on the ballot." I said, "I don't know anything about him and I won't sign my name to anything supporting anyone I don't know." Some people take voting seriously and others (apparently 36,000 people in Apex) do not. When I hear people complaining, I ask them if they voted. It is a privilege, one that blood is shed for every day.

Winters Wonderland said...

Wow, I am really suprised that it was THAT low. Wowee.

Ganine said...

Where is a like button.. I didn't vote in one presidential election when I was like 19 and my Dad wouldn't let me complain once.Longest 4 yrs. ever...