I found this paper the other day while I was cleaning out a drawer, Sullivan wrote it in 4th grade:
I love my mom for many different reasons. One of those reasons is because she gave birth to me and she loves me. I know that she loves me because she does tons of other stuff. She helps me with homework. Two nights ago I had to write a story about my ancestors.She gave me a big book full of information and she let me write from that. Another reason is that she cooks for us. She makes delicious meals. She hates going to the grocery store but she does it anyway. She does this because she loves us. She asks for our advice on what to cook so she knows we will like it. When she cooks it we offer to help her because that just shows that we love her just as much as she loves us. She always packs our lunches for school. She always puts really good stuff in it. Whenever we are sitting around she pulls out a game and asks if anyone wants to play. Everyone in my family comes running over to play and in the end we all have a great time. There is always laughter going around. Sometimes we play outside. This is why I love my mother.
This made me smile and giggle a little. It also kind of made me feel sad. I am not sure what he (they) would write if they were asked to do this same assignment today. I am afraid I am not being a very good mom and I need to do more and better. I think I just need to have more fun with them and help them to feel loved. I think I get to caught up in the busy-ness of our chaotic life and they get pushed along with the tide. I need to slow down, care a little less about the messes and schedule and enjoy my children. I know they will be all grown up and gone before I can blink.
Feb-May 2026
4 weeks ago
5 comments:
I think Danae that we all feel that way.I know I do but, all we can do is to keep on trying.
When Braxton realized that Cam's football season was over the other day he said "Good, life will slow down a bit." It was the first time that any of them have ever mentioned life being too busy...I think it wears on everyone (moms especially) after a while so when we do have those slower times, in between seasons etc...we have to really cherish them.
I feel exactly the way you feel as a mom. I'm trying to get so much done and I often feel like my kids are getting in the way. I need to stop doing so much (and getting so angry about my kids fighting and not helping out)and just sit down and enjoy being with my kids. I am reading a book called How to Win friends and Influence People and it has a lot of great ideas in it about giving praise and being there for your family. I hope it will help me be a better mom. I often say "if i just had one p-day a week without these kids I would enjoy them more on the other days". Now I just need to find a way to get the p-day.
I told Ken just last week that I could use a wife! Maybe you gals need one, too! Well, maybe.... or not. Keep up the good work. You are all excellent moms and it does slow down, when they have all grown up and gone on their ways and you just miss them and are so glad when they come home for a visit.
I often feel that way too. I care way too much about how clean my house is and getting through my busy day. I love this poem and it often brings me back to where I really need to be:
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rock-a-bye, Lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek-peek-a-boo).
The shopping is not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there is a hullabaloo.
But I'm playing "Kanga" and this is my "Roo."
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rock-a-bye, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
Post a Comment