Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sweet Release

I was released as a Primary teacher (finally) on Sunday! I have currently been teaching for 2 years. Prior to that I was in the Young Womens presidency and prior to that I was in Primary presidencies, twice. Overall, it has been about 10 years since I have been in Relief Society. This time I do not think I will miss Primary. I have had a couple of rough groups of kids. As individuals, they are all great, one class I even really liked the kids, but as classes they were difficult. Add that to having Matt in the Bishopric which makes Sundays long and hard at my house. Sundays have consisted of me battling kids on my own for hours. I am thrilled to no longer have to deal with other peoples children on Sunday, my 5 are enough!

So, I know you are all dying to know what my new calling is! I get to be THE Relief Society teacher! I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I have been saying for years that I want to have this calling. Teaching the women once or twice a month sounds great! Apparently, our stake is making some changes in the RS teaching and are doing away with multiple teachers, so I get to be the guinea pig teacher to see how it goes with one teacher teaching all 3 weeks. I really don't think it will be so bad, I mean, I have been teaching every week for the past many years! I know it will require more preparation than primary, but I imagine it will be more enjoyable prep and I will learn a lot more. And hopefully, the women will share their knowledge and experiences and thoughts with us so I am not up there giving a boring lecture each week. I am afraid that the sisters will get tired of me before I am tired of the calling. Hopefully, I will be up to the challenge and not embarrass myself.

I don't know if I am supposed to teach this week. That would be good to find out. I really hope not because Sullivan's soccer tournament is Saturday and Sunday and he is a key player on the team and they really have a chance to win. Judge me all you want, but I want, and plan, to go to the soccer games. The kids do not play on Sundays during the season. This is an exception to the rule at my house. I will probably go in a dress so if they lose the first game I can rush to the church and teach my lesson!

2 comments:

Di said...

Lucky you! I know that Sheila and I won't judge you for attending an important sports event once during the year, considering last Sunday. I'm trying to let people judge me all they want because, who cares.

Dianne said...

Congratulations on your new calling! I think any mother who has to wrestle with kids during sacrament meeting deserves to not be in Primary for the last two hours of the Sunday block. That is interesting that your stake is only having one Relief Society teacher. One of the perks of teaching Relief Society has been the only once a month lesson, but I'm sure you will be a wonderful teacher and you'll learn 3 times as much every month which is a plus for you. The nice thing about teaching adults is they usually don't disrupt the entire class when they get bored and women are usually much more willing to share their feelings, thoughts and ideas than kids are. I think it sounds like a great calling for you.