Thursday, January 14, 2010

They Know

Matt and I went to the temple last night with heavy hearts for the sadness of family members this day. I knew we would be placing their names on the prayer list. I enjoyed the session, the peace and warmth and beauty of the temple and the doctrines and ordinances within. As I stood around the alter, with tears in my eyes, I saw the Officiator pull out a large packet of names. There must be hundreds of names in each packet in each ordinance room in each temple. That must add up to thousands of names of people who are in need of special help and extra faith and prayers. I thought how I do not know the names on the lists. I do not know the circumstances that has caused someone who does know them to put that name on the list. I can not fully understand the hurt that people are feeling. I do know what happened to our family. I can only imagine the pain and sadness they are feeling. But, as I stood there looking at that package of names I knew that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ do know. They know the names, they know the circumstances, they know what needs to happen to help, to heal, to strengthen each person on that list. Jesus even knows completely the hurt. I was amazed by that thought. I believe there is great power in prayer. I believe that prayers will be answered for my family who is hurting. Now there are hundreds of people we do not even know, who will unite their faith and prayers for people we love.

It amazes me to know that all over the world there are temple prayer lists and They know every name and need associated with it. It amazes me to know that there are millions of us on the earth with needs and hurts and all sorts of sorrows. And that They know.

3 comments:

Tam said...

I was curious to know what is going on in your family, but didn't want to ask. Then I saw Ben & Becky's sad news in your blog roll. Sad. Poor things. I hope she is okay and that their sadness will go away soon. It is comforting to know that prayers are answered. Hopefully all the prayers people are saying on their behalf will bring them peace.

Di said...

I saw Ben and Becky's news too. Let them know that I am thinking of them, even though I don't really know them. So sorry - poor little family and poor little mom.

Dianne said...

What wonderful insights on another blessing the temple offers in our lives. I attended a funeral this morning and one of the speakers there commented on how our Heavenly Father loves and knows each one of us individually - every single person in the world. His knowledge of so many lives and needs is hard for me to comprehend, but I know it is true. It is a wonderful oportunity that we have to unite our prayers with those of others and combined with Heavenly Father's knowledge so many lives can and will be blessed. My heart hurts for Ben and Becky, but I know Heavenly Father knows and loves them and will be with them during this difficult time.