For the record, I hate cheerleading. Hated it in high school, was so glad that my school did not have cheerleaders the years I was there. Hated having to listen to them at basketball games and most particularly while running a cross country race... I mean really, cheer leaders at a cross country meet? Give me a break!
I do not consider "cheering" to be a sport. I admit that the competetive cheerleaders have gymnastic skills. Be a gymnast. The very word cheerleader conjures images and stereotypes in my brain. You know exactly what I am talking about. Is that what every mother wants her daughter to grow up to be? Basically a piece of eye candy for beer belly, brainless men. Or worse, eye candy for intelligent men.
Waverly will not, I repeat, WILL NOT be a cheerleader. I will refuse if she ever asks. I will tell her why. I will show her why.
Now, some of you may be asking why I am on a cheerleader kick today. Here it is. Madsen will be performing in his middle schools spring musical, High School Musical. Super fun for him and really, a fun musical for kids to perform. I volunteered to be on the costume crew. Just my luck, I got delegated to the cheerleader costume finder. Here in lies my problem. How do I intentionally dress other peoples daughters like little tramps for the whole community to see? The lead mom suggested looking at the Soffe website for this purchase. What luck! I can get really short skorts or shorts for a very good price! Oh my heavens! So short! I am not sure these things will actually cover the girls buns when they are dancing! I do not know where to find something that would even hit mid thigh! I want to ask the drama teacher if the cheerleaders can be in practice uniforms and buy mid-thigh shorts and little tanks and print East High on them. Madsen told me that some of the cheerleaders are fat. Of course, his idea of "fat" may be a little off. I will soon find out. Fat or not, I do not like parading girls around in inappropriate clothes. Even when it is not my girl!
Matt and I were discussing this dilema. Will the girls mind being in tiny shorts? Will the girls mothers mind their daughters being in little tiny shorts? Am I the only person concerned with this?
The irony: I have a son. My daughter will not be wearing the costume I come up with. Why do I care? The sad thing: those who should care probably do not.
Do I make a stand? How do I solve this little issue? Where can I find cheerleader outfits that actually cover the girls but are still cute and scream out CHEERLEADER!!!! Am I sentencing myself to hours of sewing skirts of appropriate length?
I wish I was in charge of the jocks.
4 comments:
You were "sew" nice to volunteer to help with costumes. I do understand your delimma. I don't have an answer but I know with time you will find one. I can't wait to see the final outfit and yes I think they do need to be skirts. Shorts just wouldn't be the same.
You will find the answer but take a good luck at some of the college cheerleaders outfits. Not all of them are super skimpy, outfits have changed a lot over the years.
Ganine and Angela are right. You will find an answer and I think you can find some little pleated skirts that are at least mid-thigh. And, I think you could even say to the drama teacher that you are morally opposed to young women parading around partially clothed so you will look for a modest, appropriate and cute solution to the problem. Otherwise, maybe she wants to reassign you to the jocks and let the other mother do cheerleaders! When I see cheerleaders (especially for pro-football) I always wonder about their parents. Are they proud? Oh, my goodness.
Love the Waverly picture in her Christmas dress!
Post a Comment