This morning I ran the annual Apex Turkey Trot 5k with Madsen and Sullivan. First a few disclaimers: 1. I have not been running so I am way out of shape.
2. I am 35 years old
3. I weigh a good 40 pounds more than I did in high school
4. I just had a baby :) totally joking, a lady I know from the boys school was so impressed with me for running when I just had a baby. I don't think 1 year counts as "just"
With that said, I can not run with my boys. They beat me by a ton. Good for them. Oh to be young again and run with out being weary or having sore legs or think I am going to die after a pathetic 3 miles. The boys did great. I told them that if they did not walk at all I would buy them a treat after the race. I got them frosties at Wendy's. Sullivan was the family champ with a time of 26:11, Madsen said his time was 27 or 28 something, he didn't pay enough attention. Mine will not be published. I am proud of the boys and think that with a little training, they could be good runners. After these races, I am always so ashamed of my times. It is hard not to compare what I used to do to what I can barely accomplish now. Why do I compare a 35 year old, out of shape woman to a 14-18 year old who spent hours running every day? I will never run a 5k in 20 minutes again. I should just try to improve my old lady times. I realized this morning that I really need to start running now, if I plan to run the Cary Road race in April. I know that sounds far away. I can't do a 10k without training. And the only 10k times I have to compare are old lady times. So, once again, starting on Monday, November 30 (I know, I know, it is not the first of the month) I will be running. That way I will have a base endurance level and conditioning ready to start real training for the 10k in January. Who knows, it might help keep holiday pounds off and help me get rid of the 20 I want to get rid of! And, after training for a 10 k that half marathon won't be so bad.
Feb-May 2026
4 weeks ago
3 comments:
Good job to the boys, and to you for even doing it. I think that is why I don't want to run anymore - I will never run a 20 again so why bother.
I agree with Di.. good for you. I would not even dream of trying to run 1 mile. I get winded running up my stairs. ;)
Congratulations to all of you, and especially to you for even entering the 5K. SticK with your plans to practice up and get in shape again. TaKes dedication! (don't know why the K doesn't want to print!) If you don't keep working at it, before you know it you will be old like me and just walking is an effort.
Grandma C
Post a Comment