Thursday, November 19, 2009

Book Group ?

I am hosting book group at my house this evening. My house is a mess right now. My list of things to do today includes cleaning the house and making a whole bunch of food and some shopping, a parent teacher conference and musical auditions. As I am cleaning I am wondering why am I doing this? The house will remain mostly clean until 3:30. Then I will have to clean it again. Then we will eat dinner and I will have to clean again! All to impress some ladies who most likely wouldn't really care if they showed up and dinner dishes were still on the counter and my carpet was not freshly vacuumed. The most important thing to clean is the bathroom, just in case someone needs it. I guess I am putting on the game face. The one that everyone sees and thinks I have it all together. It is the same face we put on every Sunday. We see each other at our best and judge that. Thinking that this must be how it always is for that lady. Why do we judge our Monday morning selves to someone elses Sunday best? Of course we always see peoples houses clean. I am usually only at other peoples houses when they know I am coming. And they have spent the day cleaning... three times! Stop in unexpected at the house of a family and the house will not be perfectly clean and the mom will not be in her very best clothes looking like she just stepped out of a magazine. That is what I am thinking as I am cleaning my house for my friends. Maybe I should stop and hope they will still be my friends even if there are Star Wars action figures on the floor during book group.

6 comments:

Winters Wonderland said...

I'd still be your friend. It would be refreshing. As my neighbor, Aubrey can tell you what my house looks like sometimes! :P

Di said...

We usually judge ourselves much more harshly than anyone else does. I can't tell you how many times I have walked into someone's house that hasn't been freshly sparkled and thought "hallelujah, a messy house!" Since Better Homes & Gardens isn't coming for a photo shoot today, I'd relax a little. I think we all appreciate the real selves more than the put on selves. The older I get, the less I care what people think.

Laura said...

I relate to all of this so much. I often feel relief when I realize a friend struggles just like me. They are not perfect. We are then kindred spirits of sorts. My house is never perfect, my laundry always haunts me and I can't stay dressed up all the time.

Laura said...

Though I like people to think I can do it all...

Dianne said...

I just wrote a great comment and then it disappeared. I hate it when that happens. So, what book did you read for book club??

Danae said...

Aunt Dianne, we read Gone With The Wind, one of my all time favorites.