Monday, October 18, 2010

Silver

 

Matt pulled out my first silver hair tonight. Actually, it was WHITE! I guess I will skip the silver and go straight to white. To be honest, I am surprised it has taken this long. My lovely mother has had grey/white hair as long as I can remember. We all thought we would be grey young like she was. Diana is pretty silver now too, but from a distance she sort of looks blonde, right Di? Tam has gone so dark that when her silver kicks in it will really show!

Matt told me that it was all down hill from here, before I know it I will be fat and bald. I think he has a case of mistaken identity. Most likely I will be skinny and have white hair. I just wonder how long it will take for the white to dominate. I overheard a conversation at church the other night when one lady said she thinks no one should ever let their hair go grey or white because they look old and awful. I told her that I would know what she thought of me in a few years when I am white! I do not plan to color my hair. I think natural is beautiful and I am proud to be aging. And, I think my mom is beautiful and if I turn out like her, that is okay with me!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Tam said...

I think that pretending you're not aging by covering up your silver makes you look old. And ridiculous. And you're not fooling anyone. So there, haters! Aging gracefully is, well, graceful. Thanks, Mama, for being a classy/graceful example! And I don't think my hair is much darker than yours, is it? We are both far from the blondie-blonds we once were. I have a few silver strands and they do shine, especially in the sunlight. And yes, Diana is so silver, she's gold!

Word verification: nofachin; German for women who age gracefully and don't give in to societal pressure to pretend they're not getting older. English translation, "no faking"

Tam said...

Also, Patrice and I were talking about getting old and ~squishy~ one day and I said "I hope you will still like me when I have white hair and a squishy belly." He said "Look at it this way...just look at your mom." I misinterpreted and got defensive and said "I think my mom is beautiful!" he said "Exactly."

Di said...

Look at me in that picture and I am getting all white-haired and squishy! I really do think that one streak I have is blondish. Oh, it's probably mostly whiteish . . . I like the idea that I am so silver I'm gold. One of these days I'll wake up and be white. You guys really will be more noticeable than me though - but it will probably look pretty cool. Be graceful my friends!

Winters Wonderland said...

Congrats on only your FIRST White hair :) I have many already. My grandpa is all white and I hope mine turns all white as opposed to gray. The white is so pretty!!

Ganine said...

Good for you. I wish I could feel the same, but I love my hair dye,(just glad that I can do it myself)Plus you and your sisters are your mothers daughters and she is beautiful so that stands to reason that you will all be beautiful.

Hope that came out the right way. You know I love you guys ;)

Tam said...

Ganine, you're lovely, even if you color your hair. Honestly, I don't care what people choose to do or not do with their hair (or other body parts) in order to feel/look good. I do believe, as Forrest Gump's mama might say, "Beauty is as Beauty does." If you care about yourself, and feel happy, you will reflect that in your appearance whether your hair is naturally silver or artificially (insert color of choice here). While I am confident in my graceful aging process, I am also too lazy and cheap to color my hair, so there's that side of it too.

Di said...

As Tam said, Ganine, we won't judge! I've found it interesting how many women have complimented me on my "ability" to keep my hair it's natural (read: graying) hair color. And most of them say things like "I wish I could do that." I don't know if they think I am brave to look the way I do or if they wish they were brave enough to be more natural. Either way, I don't really care - I just believe that most women can be beautiful in their natural state. Helen Mirren, Dame Judy Densch, Jamie Lee Curtis and of course, my mother are my aging role-models. Also, I'm cheap and lazy like Tam.

Di said...

p.s. Danae, is your ego being stoked by many comments?

Danae said...

Di- of course my ego is being stoked! It is fun to get comments, but I like that I am not the only one who will go silver naturally and be beautiful. Maybe it will just be the 4 of us, I am sure Sheila will join us sooner or later! And I know that some posts strike a nerve with people, either good or bad. Since I don't think many people really read my blog, it is just life. On FB, however, I admit to sometimes posting just to get a reaction!

And like Di and Tam, I am too cheap and lazy to color my hair too! And I maybe should have said Skinny-ish in the original post, since that picture does not make me look particularly skinny! :)

Tam said...

Here's what I thought about you calling yourself skinny:
1. You are pretty thin.
2. You were comparing yourself to the man of the mysteriously shrinking pants who suggested you will be fat.
3. You are dedicated to exercise and have a proven history of getting skinnier, and remaining skinny (as long as you remain un-pregnant)
4. Were you using Obama-logic? As in, if I weigh 200 pounds, it could be a lot worse. I don't weigh 500 pounds, therefore, I'm skinny!

Sheila said...

I have highlighted my hair from time to time purely to remind me of my days as a blonde instead of mousy brown. But I am too cheap and lazy to maintain it. I haven't noticed any grays yet and I am actually really surprised by that, I thought for years that I would be at least headed for salt and pepper by now. I hope to grow up to be classy, graceful, gray (and skinnyish) like my mom and sisters! That being said, my mother in law is classy, graceful and blonde!

Sheila said...

P.S. Sometimes I look at pictures and catch myself wondering why I look so different...that was 15 years ago duh! Even if I don't look it, sometimes I still feel like I am 18.