Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer Cross Country

I just dropped Madsen off for his first summer run with the high school cross country team. He looked scared to death and I can not blame him! I can not think of many things that would scare me more than being dropped off with a group of strangers and being told to have fun. The coach seemed nice. He did not particularly look like a runner. I am anxious to hear if he runs with the kids. My cross country coach did every single work out with us. That may be a rare thing. There were a lot of kids. A couple of boys who looked young and scared like Madsen. Oh how I hope this will be a good experience for him. Not just today, but for the next four years. I hope he will make friends. This is part of why he is doing this. To meet kids before school starts and to be part of a team. After running they are going to the swimming and then having pancakes at the home of one of the girls, she just happens to be in our ward. It should be fun. I have butterflies in my tummy for him. I just hope he does not come home and tell me he hated it and does not ever want to go back.

A report back:

He did have a good time and met some nice boys. One older boy was particularly kind and asked him lots of stuff and made him feel comfortable. He said he ran by himself because he could not keep up with the others. The coach did not run, I belief Mr. Howard was a rare kind of coach! He is looking forward to running with the team again when we get back from vacation. I also imagine that when school starts there will be more kids. Overall- a good day! And, I think cross-country kids make good friends because they are not your stereotypical athlete, you know, dumb and arrogant! I think it will be good. And yes, cross country smells different in NC, but I have smelled it!

7 comments:

Di said...

I bet he will come home with stories of the nice new friends he made and how much fun he had. If he comes back and says he doesn't ever want to go back - make him for a while. That's what Dad did to me and look where that got all of us: clear to a 2nd generation of XC runners. I hope he loves it, even if he doesn't end up being the greatest ever! Tell him I'm cheering him on and remind him of what a great experience being on the XC and track teams was for all of us - one of the best of my life. I want to hear a report of the day!

Winters Wonderland said...

I bet he will love it too!. I ran cross country in Highschool and remember that first day nervousness but I loved it too! It was great and I still love running :)

Tam said...

Did it smell like cross country this morning? I have butterflies in my tummy for him too! I hope he enjoys it. XC people make good friends!

Di said...

I bet Cross Country smells different in North Carolina :)

Tam said...

Hooray, I say! I'm glad for a good first experience. Give him a high five for me!

Di said...

Yay! I'm glad that it was good so far. He'll get stronger and better and be able to keep up with someone eventually:)

Mom and Dad said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto to everything all of you said. We are also very happy that kids were nice to him on his first day. Yay for X-C and for Madsen. Maybe we will get to see him run in a meet sometime soon.