Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What's in a name

I think choosing a name for a baby is very difficult. We want names that are unique without being crazy. People are always asking me how we came up with the boys (and girl) names so I go through the story. Madsen is my maiden name, Sullivan we got off tv, yes, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, but not from the character Sully, Declan from the Irish friend in Grad school and Cannon from a family history story and Waverly from the Joy Luck Club. Waverly is the name in question now. In Cary, a neighboring town, there is a shopping center named Waverly Place. There is a teenage girl who used to be in our ward named Waverly and there is the general in White Christmas whose last name is Waverly. People out here think I either named her after a shopping center or our friend. Not the case. I heard it in the movie when I was pregnant with Madsen 13 years ago and loved it, I just never got the chance to use it until now. Now you know where I got all my kids names. And just so you know, they all have a family name too, mostly middle names.

Now we move on to nick names. Waverly has many. Mostly we call her Waves or Wavie. Matt calls her Snortlenose Toot Bottoms. She snores and toots, a lot! Not something she will want to be remembered for. Sully calls her Princess Poop, she had a leaky poop diaper while he was taking care of her. She has also been called Little Miss, Sweetie Love, Sugar Booger, Princess, Nilla Wafers and accidently, Buddy ( some habits are hard to break).

3 comments:

Dianne said...

My wonderful husband gave me the complete Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman TV series on DVD for Christmas this year. I am not a big TV watcher, but this is one series I loved and I have been trying to find it on DVD for a reasonable price for a long time. I let myself watch an episode while I work on a sorting/organizing job in my bedroom most days. I have a lot of sorting/organizing jobs so it's a good thing it's like a zillion episodes long. While I was watching it the other day I thought "I wonder if Matt and Danae named Sully after this TV show?" Now I know. I was also reminded that Sully's (in the show) name was actually Byron which he said was not a good name for a man. I don't know. I kind of like Byron.

Becky and Ben said...

That is funny that you did that post, becuase I have actually asked Ben where you picked your names. I think he knew about Madsen, but none of the others. I had never heard the name Waverly before, until the Disney show came along.I thought you might have picked it from the Disney show "Wizards of Waverly Place".

Tam said...

I thought you named her after the Waverly crackers. Or maybe the home interior design company (you know the one that has towels, sheets, curtains, etc. at Target?) Just kidding. I knew you named her after a girl who was named after the street her family was living on. Or maybe they didn't mention that she was named after the street in the movie...I never saw it. I'm just glad you didn't name her Rednecma or whatever silly name Stephenie Meyer came up with. As if anyone else's opinions of our own kids' names matter...hee hee.