My mystery disease turned out to be pneumonia. I have done 2 rounds of antibiotics with 3 different drugs. I also ended up with double ear infections. The good news is my blood oxygen levels are normal, I no longer breathe like a smoker. My ears are good and my lungs are clearing. I feel fine, but I do not think I will be out running races any time soon, darn it! The really good news is I lost nearly 15 pounds during the ordeal and I am now under my pre-pregnancy weight. The challenge will be to keep the jump start and lose the last few pounds I would like to lose. I am grateful for doctors and health insurance and that I am normally healthy. Sully is the only other person who got sick. He had my same symptoms, fever not as high, but it did not turn into pneumonia for him, thanks to being young and again, normally healthy. He did miss a week of school. His friends were worried that he dropped off the face of the earth and the girls at the bus stop with crushes on him having been staring into the car looking for him. I am sure all were relieved to see him back.
As grateful as I am for health insurance, I sure wish it was not such a pain! When Matt started his new job we chose one plan that was relatively inexpensive and would get us through the birth of Waverly the easiest. That plan was to end on December 31 and the new plan we chose during open enrollment would take over. Should be simple. When Matt called to add Waverly to the insurance they changed everything back to last years plan without us knowing. I have used the new cards for all my recent appointments plus the boys flu shots. I am hoping it will be covered. I am afraid the old cards may have been used too. I don't think the pediatrician has even filed all Waverly's early care, which happened prior to December 31, so should be covered with last years plan. I keep getting bills from the pediatricians office. I also recently got a $200 bill for an ER visit that was follow up care from 2 previous ER visits. The claim was denied because they did not deem it an emergency. It was not! I was told to go back to the ER for follow up. Now I get to battle the insurance over that one. I even got a paper in the mail from Blue Cross that a claim was filed for Madsen's flu shot. We have not had BC since August! So the pediatricians filed that one to the wrong company! Needless to say, I am heading to the pediatrician tomorrow to try to explain my issues and get everything worked out.
Matt did get a message from the benefits people that they changed everything back to the new plan we chose. I just hope everything gets paid for!
Maybe socialized medical care won't be so bad! Just kidding!
Feb-May 2026
4 weeks ago
3 comments:
Sounds like a blast. All of it.
Yup, insurance and doctor's offices are both big pains and what should be simple never is. However, after living in England for 18 months and being a party to a few horror stories there, and having dealt with Indian Health Services I'm not sure socialized medicine is the answer either. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. My opinion at the moment is that doctors need to be a little less eager to spend the insurance companies money and quit recommending tests and visits that aren't really necessary and asking questions that will result in additional charges. It's no wonder insurance is so expensive and the company questions every charge.
I'm glad you are finally feeling better and hope all your bills get straightened out soon.
Sorry to hear that you have been so sick for so long. Yes, and trying to figure out the bills doesn't improve the situation. The last 2 days I have spent on follow up appointments from when I was in the hospital. I hope you are feeling better, as I am. It takes a long time to get the energy level back. Hopefully we can both get the bills worked out and go in the right direction toward joining the busy "real" world again. I too have lost 15 pounds and like you it wasn't such a fun way! Oh well, the clothes fit better. Love you all!
Post a Comment