Monday, June 3, 2013

Summer of Missionary Prep/Life Skills...

This is the last week of school and just like it does every year, the anxiety is building up. I do love having my kids home, the lack of schedule, sleeping in, swimming, family adventures... But I also struggle having the kids home, lack of schedule, sleeping in... It does not take long for the kids to complain of being bored, hot etc. Every summer I have great plans to adventure and learn with the kids. Every summer I fail and we end up watching way too much t.v., playing too many video games and pretty much accomplishing nothing. I am determined to not have that happen this time!So my mental planning is happening. I plan to have a job every day, many projects completed, artwork created, books read, games played, miles run, hours at the pool, and yes, naps! Last night I had the stroke of genius to have a summer of missionary/college/life prep. I have one year (holy crap) left with Madsen in my house. He needs to learn how to live without his mother. The other boys can learn with him. So, if you have any great suggestions on things to teach my boy in the final year before he leaves home, I would love to hear it! Meal planning and shopping and cooking are top on the list. Laundry, budgeting, time management, cleaning, changing flat tires (I know how now after last weeks adventure), sewing on buttons, tie a tie... the list can go on and on. Some of my big projects include building a fire pit, building our own patio furniture, building Wave's playhouse, painting bedrooms, artwork for my big wall, building raised garden beds, building shelves for closets. Big plans. How much will actually happen is yet to be seen! I really want Madsen to get a job so he can earn some dollars for that upcoming mission. Matt is taking 2 weeks off, one in June and one in July. We are planning to spend some time in Asheville and the mountains we have yet to explore. The big adventure will be a trip to Washington D.C. We have lived here for 9 years and have yet to make that trip. We will also hit Colonial Williamsburg and Water Country USA. The boys love the beach so we will have to take a weekend or maybe just a day trip to the coast. My next post just might be all about my summer failings.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

So excited to read about all the fun, productive, creative things you accomplish this summer. Don't try to bite off more than you can chew, but focus on one thing every day and have fun! Most of all enjoy having Madsen around for one more year. You WILL miss him when he is gone. I know you can do it and don't forget to share all your adventures with us.

Angela said...

I still have 2 1/2 weeks until school ends here. I'm hoping to make good use of the summer too but like you it doesn't usually happen. Good luck to you. Post lots of pictures!

Tam said...

besides the book Di told you about, you should read Cleaning House by Kay Mills Wyma (I think that was her name). It talks about running errands, prepping and cooking a meal from planning to clean up, planning/hosting parties, and the obvious-cleaning house, among other good life skills like manners and working and being reliable.