Saturday, August 6, 2011

Place mat projects

I have 2 sets of hand made place mats. One set of 7 that my mother made are quilted and an assortment of colors and patterns. I use these all the time. My only problem is that there are only seven and now I have a table that seats 8 so I need at least 1 more. I think I need 3 more so that when I have guests (Mom and Dad) we can all have a place mat. My other set is Turkeys that we obviously, only use at Thanksgiving. I made these several years (read pre-Waverly) ago so I only have 6. Now I need to make at least 1 more so Waverly can have her own turkey. I knew that I had saved the left over fabric from the turkeys just in case I ever felt like making extras to use with guests. I figure if I want a turkey for Waverly for this Thanksgiving, I should start working on it. I just went in the attic and dug out the fabric and... Happy surprise! Not only do I have the fabric but I actually have 5 turkeys cut out just waiting to be completed! The head/beak and gobbler are even sewn on. So maybe next week I will work on some turkeys. And maybe when the boys go back to school I will head to the fabric store to buy quilting fabric and see if I am talented enough to copy the place mats Mom made and make a few more. Or maybe Mom will read this and is in need of another project and she will make them for me?

4 comments:

Tam said...

She doesn't NEED another project...she has already been commissioned by me to make new socks and quilted holiday themed wall hangings/table runners.

I suppose she will probably be happy to squeeze in your project too...

Then again, maybe you SHOULD see if you are talented like mom!

Winters Wonderland said...

we wanna see pictures of these turkeys!! They sound so cute!

Mom and Dad said...

I MIGHT be able todo three more placemats for you before we come out in September. If I can find the pattern for your placemats. They are the plaid-ish ones, I think. You might want to measure the squares and strips for me, or just tell me that you want to test your skill. If I recall, my skill wasn't that great when I made them in the first place, so you probably can make them better! Let me know!

Angela said...

I want to see pictures too. Good luck with your sewing project.