Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Not the plan for the day!

I woke up this morning planning to take Cannon to the pediatrician, be told to keep taking the medicine and check back in a few days, then we were going to go shopping. None of that happened! He has had a sore throat, sore neck since Friday night. We did take him to urgent care on Saturday where strep and mono tests came back negative. He was put on an anti-biotic and we were told to take him to the doctor if he was not better in a couple of days. He is not better. The pediatrician told me she could not see anything wrong but obviously, something is wrong, so she sent me to an ENT. The ENT looked and said that he could not see anything wrong but was sure something was, so he sent us to the local hospital for a cat scan. You know things are not good when the radiology tech tells you that the ENT is in the hospital talking with the radiologist. We saw the scan and he has a large abscess in his throat, behind/under his tonsils, most likely staph. So, we were sent to UNC hospital for IV anti-biotics but it ends up he has to have a little surgery to have it drained. The ENT told me he called a friend up at UNC and that all we needed to do was go up there, tell them who we are, that the doctor is expecting us, but he told me to go to the pediatric ER so I did. We were in the ER for a couple of hours, saw residents and attending doctors and a surgeon. He got a bag of goodies that he was really exited about and then finally, he was admitted to the childrens hospital. We left the house at 9:45 and I got home around 9:00. So tired, so hungry. Cannon could eat up until midnight, he was very worried that Matt would not get to him with dinner soon enough and that he would starve to death! Matt saved the day with Burger King including a crown and shake. He will have his little surgery some time tomorrow. Then he will stay in the hospital until the lab results are in and we know what it was and what medicine he needs so he may be there until Sunday. Matt is spending the night tonight. I will go up tomorrow and relieve him so he can go to work for a while. He will probably spend the night again so I can deal with the kids in the morning. Then I will take the weekend duty. I know he will be fine. It is a little stressful, I am trying really hard not to worry. My friends have already stepped up taking care of the other kids. What a blessing to have so many people willing and ready to help!

I will return and report when we have a report!

No comments: