With Madsen in high school now and growing up and maturing, I feel a strange pulling away and holding tighter. I want to give him his space to learn and grow and do things on his own and for himself, but at the same time I want to be there with him and for him and to protect him from harms, both physical and emotional. I want to solve his problems for him but I know he needs to do it himself. There are so many lessons to be learned in the next few years that will be best learned by experience, his experience, not mine. I don't want him to have to face disappointment but I know that is part of life. I wish I could be a fly on the wall at school so I can see all that goes on in a day. I want him to be involved in all sorts of things at school. I want this to be a fun, good time in his life. It really is an almost physical, tangible feeling of him pulling and stretching away from me, but not too far. He makes sure I am an arms length away to catch him if he is about to fall. This just may be the most dificult pat of parenting I have faced yet!

4 comments:
And we thought changing diapers and helping them learn to walk was hard.
*la la la la la la* I can't hear you *la la la la la*
Hang on to your seat and get ready for a wild ride. You are going to be doing this for a long time, possibly the rest of your life. Just remember what Joseph Smith said, "Teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves." Take every opportunity to teach your kids where to turn for help and comfort and strength (and remember that ultimately it shouldn't be to you) and then pray a lot. I have the utmost confidence that you and your children can do this, but it definitely won't be easy.
Wow, a high schooler! I can't even imagine. Good luck with all that entails! I know you two will do wonderfully. You can only teach them as best you can and then let them make their own decisions and face those consequences (whether good or bad).
Post a Comment