Wednesday, October 7, 2009

To Trophy or not to Trophy...

Sully is in goal

funny picture, but it is hard to get a good picture of him doing something really cool!
Trophies for everyone!
And this is where my problem starts. None of these pictures are from this soccer season. I actually have not taken any, how many pictures of the back side of my kid in a jersey do I need? This years team has been really bad, 0-6 so far. It has been frustrating for Sully who really is quite good and certainly the best on his team. The coach is terrible, glad he was willing to do it, since we don't, but not happy to have him be Sully's coach again. They have scored 3 goals- all season. They have lost by huge margins. It is not very fun to watch, except when Sully is in goal, then he gets a lot of action and he is good. It has not been fun to play either. He is so ready for this to be over and we are looking into different options for next season. Unfortunately, all the club leagues play on Sunday and are really expensive and travel all over which are 3 things we can not do. This season is finally almost over. I got an e-mail from the coaches wife about the end of season celebration and thoughts on trophies, to trophy or not to trophy, that is the question. I am of the opinion that trophies are for teams that WIN! Not all this everyone is a winner and no one should feel bad stuff. This team is the worst in the league! They did not win anything! Why do we then buy, yes, we would be paying, trophies? To remember the awful season? Because Sully needs something else to clutter up his dresser and collect dust? Because we all just need some other way to spend money? So, we talked with Sully and he laughed at the whole thing and said he does not want a trophy for this team/season. Apparently, we are not the only ones on the team who feel this way. We are opting out of trophies. But wait! One mother did reply that something needs to be given to each kid because of their great effort and team work. Whatever. So, the plan is to print some computer certificate and have the coach say something nice about each kid at our lunch party after the first round tournament losing game. If I was the coach, I would have a hard time sayingsomething good about each kid.... good thing I am not the coach! Heaven forbid we let winners be winners and celebrate an accomplishment or for that matter, let losers be losers and walk away.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Di said...

I'm all for letting losers be losers. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. It is worthwhile to learn how to be on either end. I think it is ok for the coach to say something nice about each kid. I remember being "most improved" my first year of Cross Country, and frankly, I was pretty pleased with that.

Tam said...

Yay losers! There...something for everyone.

Anonymous said...

And this, Danae, is why we are friends. I'm all for making kids happy, but not for blowing sunshine up their bums. I'm glad Sully has a good, realistic head on his shoulders! I wish there was some advice I could give on the travel soccer aspect...